LOCAL 46 APPRENTICE RECRUITMENT: UPDATE
Woodside, NY (June 6, 2017)
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Metallic Lathers and Reinforcing Ironworkers, Local Union #46, will conduct a recruitment from June 21, 2017 through July 7, 2017 for 50 lather (wood, wire, and metal) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the 50 openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for three recruitment regions: the Hudson Valley, Long Island, and New York City regions. This program’s jurisdiction includes the counties of Bronx, Kings, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester.
Applications can be obtained at Local Union #46, 61-02 32nd Avenue, Woodside, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., on 06/21/17, 06/22/17, 06/23/17, 06/26/17, 06/27/17, 06/28/17, 06/29/17, 06/30/17, 07/06/17, and 07/07/17. Applicants must present a valid photo identification, for verification purposes only, in order to receive an application. All applications must be postmarked no later than 07/14/17.
Applicants must pay a $25.00 testing fee by money order at the time of testing. Applicants may request that this fee be waved. Fee waivers will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must have a physical exam, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade, which may include:
- Wearing a safety belt weighing 25-50 pounds for a full day.
- Carrying steel rods weighing between 50 and 150 pounds each.
- Climbing on building erection jobs, on bridges, on wall-reinforcing jobs, etc.
- Walking, climbing, bending, reaching, lifting, and carrying for a full day.
- Must pass a drug screening, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture.
- A valid NYS driver’s license is recommended, but not required.
- Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must take an aptitude test administered by Wonderlic Testing.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #46 at (718) 267-7500.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.